ISES Education& Migration (International Student Exchange Services)

Skilled Work Regional – Subclass 491

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 is a points tested, state or government sponsored provisional visa that will enable eligible skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia for up to 5 years.


This is a permanent visa, you can: 

Reside in Australia for up to 5 years
Live, study and work in a designated regional area of Australia
Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want during the duration of the visa
Apply for permanent residency through the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa (Subclass 191)
Work in any occupation and for any employer in line with the work and residence conditions attached to your visa
Be eligible for Medicare
Visa holders will be eligible to apply for a Permanent Residence pathway after holding this for at least 3 years and earned a minimum taxable income that meets the threshold of AU$53,900 for at least three years


  • This is approximate price, please contact us for more information

Eligibility to apply for Subclass 491 Visa

The eligibility criteria of the visa may vary based on the stream of application.

General stream

To be eligible for this stream, the applicant must:
Have a relevant occupation on the state 190 visa occupation list
Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
Meet the points test pass mark of 65 points (as of March 2022)
Be nominated by a state or territory government agency
Lodge an EOI and be invited to apply
Be aged under 45 years of age when invited to apply for this visa
Have Competent English
Meet health and character requirements

Can I Apply in Australia or Overseas?

You can be in or outside Australia when you submit your EOI. You can either be in Australia or overseas when you apply for a Subclass 190 Skilled Nominated Visa as long as you meet the above requirements. To be able to lodge from within Australia, you would need to hold a substantive visa or a Bridging A, B or C visa. Once you apply from within Australia, you will receive a bridging visa allowing you to remain in Australia during processing of your visa application. If your current visa is refused or cancelled, you might not be eligible to apply for the 189 visa while you were in Australia.
Want to talk with us about your future?

Free Consultation

Contact us
Adelaide: +61 8 8211 6589
Melbourne: +61 3 9642 0253
Email us for any questions